Tuesday

Child's Song w/ Photography by Lizz Swenson

Child's Song

I lie in my bed thinking of you,
just two doors down.

You!
So small,

so new to this world.

You are alone in your dreams,
no warmth
but your own.


By my side your father, my lover snores.
Faraway he roams
from you,

faraway he roams
from me...

this stranger at my side!

While he sleeps,
I am fitfully aware, awake...

with thoughts of you,
just two doors down.

I could go to you, now.
Throw back the covers without a sound.
Take you up into my arms, tell you that I am here

for you.
But, I hesitate... something closes in me.
And I wait silently, impatiently for understanding.
Who has time for this? One-o-clock,
tick-tock, tick-tock
and
then suddenly something flies open
and now I see!
That I am the one alone,
there is no one
but me.

By my side your father, my lover snores.
Faraway, he roams
from you,

faraway he roams
from me.

Who is this stranger by my side sleeping?

Shhhhhhhhhhh.


No comments: